We all know that when aluminum alloy workpieces are produced using chemical nickel plating additives, the plating solution is prone to self catalytic reaction and decomposition, resulting in a shorter service life of the plating solution. So, do we have any methods to improve the stability of the plating solution and extend its service life?
Based on on-site experience and the characteristics of Ni-809 additive for aluminum alloy electroless nickel plating, Bigley Technology has analyzed the methods to effectively improve the stability of the electroless nickel plating solution:
1. Strengthen control over the composition of the plating solution. During the production process, the plating solution is prone to problems such as equipment malfunction or improper human operation, such as untimely liquid extraction, inconsistent pump drive, pipeline blockage, or temperature control equipment malfunction, resulting in imbalanced composition ratio, high pH value, and difficulty in controlling the main salt. When the concentration of active ingredients in the plating solution is high, it is difficult to handle, while when the content is low, it needs to be manually added. Therefore, during production, we should match the theoretical addition amount with the actual consumption amount based on the size of the workpiece area and laboratory analysis, to avoid insufficient or excessive additives. In addition, we should check the production equipment before production to avoid any impact on the cost of the plating solution.
2. Change the appropriate heating device. Some heating pipes have slow heating and heat transfer rates, and the heat cannot be dissipated in a timely manner, resulting in local overheating of the heating pipes and bursting of the copper pipes. As a result, copper chips or eroded dust can enter the plating solution, leading to the decomposition of the plating solution. Therefore, we can use steam heating devices, which can effectively shorten the heating time of the plating solution, improve production efficiency, and also improve the stability of the plating solution, extending its service life.
3. Strictly control the transfer capacity of the plating solution. If we do not control the loading capacity of the workpiece according to the size of the plating bath during production, when the loading capacity is too large, the plating solution is prone to turbidity and self decomposition. Therefore, during production, we should strictly control the transfer capacity of the plating solution between 1.0-1.5dm2/L based on the size of the plating bath and the plating area of the workpiece.
4. Prevent the toxic pollution of zinc ions. Due to the zinc deposition process before chemical nickel plating, even if there is a water washing process, it is difficult to avoid residual zinc deposition liquid being brought into the chemical nickel plating solution. Once zinc ions enter the plating solution, it is easy to cause the decomposition of the plating solution. Therefore, it is necessary to increase the cleaning frequency of the workpiece after zinc deposition. Flowing water should be used for water washing, and for difficult to clean workpieces such as blind holes and complex shapes, it is required to increase the cleaning force after zinc deposition to ensure that the workpiece is washed clean with water.
5. Strengthen control during the production process. We maintain continuous filtration of the plating solution during the production process. If the filter element is not replaced in a timely manner, it is inevitable that solid impurities will be brought into the plating solution. In addition, if the water quality prepared for cleaning does not meet the requirements, the plating solution is prone to introducing other impurities. Therefore, we should establish maintenance and management procedures for the plating solution during production, standardize operational details, and try to avoid bringing impurities into the plating solution.
Therefore, we need to pay attention to the above 5 points in the production process of using chemical nickel plating additives for our aluminum alloy workpieces. This can effectively improve the stability of the plating solution, reduce the probability of rework or scrapping of the workpieces, greatly extend the service life of the plating solution, effectively improve production efficiency, and reduce production costs. If you are interested in chemical nickel plating additives, please contact Bigley customer service to obtain free samples and detailed technical information!
If you want to learn more about chemical nickel plating, you can check out "Industry News".