We all know that plating baths using nickel sulfamate additives can achieve metal coatings with better mechanical properties than conventional nickel sulfate baths.It is favored by customers because of its low internal stress, good ductility, high hardness and good uniformity.In the process of using nickel sulfamate additives, what factors will affect the quality of the coating?
According to the field experience and the characteristics of the product nickel sulfamate additive Ni-1000, Bigley Technology has analyzed the following 6 points:
1. The influence of water quality.Nickel sulfamate plating solution has high requirements on water quality, so trace impurities in the water will cause instability of the plating solution.For example, there are many Ca2+ and Mg2+ in the water, and the electrical conductivity will be 300~800μs/cm. After electrification, it is easy to react with the organic matter in the plating solution to form a complex, which affects the mechanical properties of the nickel plating layer.Generally, water with low conductivity should be used for production, and the conductivity should be 5~20μs/cm.
2. The influence of stirring.Generally, there are air stirring, mechanical stirring and circulating stirring of the plating solution.Air stirring is suitable for electroplating that does not require high plating layer. Although the cost is low, it will affect the composition of the plating solution because the air will bring in impurities.The nickel sulfamate plating solution mainly adopts the method of mechanical cathode movement and filtration circulation stirring.The cathode movement is generally 20~25 times/min, and the filtration cycle is about 3 times per hour of the bath body plating solution. Too fast or too slow stirring is not conducive to the formation of the coating.
3. The influence of current density.The deposition rate of nickel increases with the increase of current density. Generally, the current density of nickel sulfamate plating solution is controlled at 1~4A/dm2.If the current density is small, the brightness of the coating will be poor; if the current density is large, defects will appear on the surface of the coating.
4. The influence of bath temperature.The production temperature of nickel sulfamate plating solution is generally 50~70℃.When the temperature exceeds 80°C, the plating solution is easy to decompose, and the low temperature is not conducive to the deposition of the coating.
5. The influence of the pH value of the plating solution.The strength and hardness of the coating increase with the increase of the pH value of the plating solution, while the ductility and internal stress decrease with the increase of the pH value of the plating solution.
6. The influence of nickel ion concentration and chloride content in the plating solution.The strength, tensile stress and hardness of the coating decreased with the increase of nickel ion concentration and chloride content, while the ductility and internal stress increased with the increase of nickel ion concentration and chloride content.
Therefore, we should strictly control various process parameters when using nickel sulfamate additives to ensure good quality of the coating.If you are interested in nickel sulfamate additives, please contact Bigolly customer service, you can get free samples and detailed technical information!
If you want to know more about nickel plating, you can click to view "Common problem".